The house has eight double or twin bedrooms, plus a triple, and a former dressing room (with independent entrance) with a single bed. This means that it can sleep 16 adults, or 18 if children are present. There are six bathrooms and shower rooms: three are exclusively en-suite, two bedrooms share a bathroom in a private area, and the final three bedrooms share a bathroom and a shower room between them. Reflecting the incremental development of the house itself, each has its own character. Some rooms feature flexible bed configurations; equal comfort is guaranteed in any configuration.

The bedrooms are named after prominent members of the Markham family and contain pictures, possessions and information about each. The first four bedrooms open off the Front Landing which features the Landing Library, mainly classic novels and history books. The second four bedrooms open off the Back Landing, which contains display cases of Indian birds dating from the 1840s.

View (image) or download (PDF) a floor plan to assist with room allocations.

The Archbishop’s Room

(Archbishop William Markham, 1719-1807)

Two three-foot single beds, which can be bound together to make a superking. Small lobby area with sofa. En-suite bathroom with bath, shower over, and view to church.

William Markham was Headmaster of Westminster School, Dean of Christ Church Oxford, Bishop of Chester, and for 30 years Archbishop of York.

The General’s Room

(Lt. General Fred Markham, 1805-1855)

Original Tudor room with round-headed windows and oak panelling around fireplace. Double bed, longer than standard. En-suite bathroom with large bath but no shower.

Fred soldiered in Canada, India and the Crimea, and wrote the first book about shooting in the Himalayas. He lived at Morland when on leave.

The Admiral’s Room

(Admiral John Markham, 1761-1827)

This large room has a south-facing bay window onto the private garden, an oak kingsize bed, and a wash basin. This room shares a bathroom (with bath and shower over) with The Engineer’s Room (see below), with all three rooms behind a curtain which can be drawn to give privacy from the rest of the upper floor.

Admiral John was the son of the Archbishop and father of the General. He had an active naval career during the Napoleonic War, became MP for Portsmouth, a Lord of the Admiralty and was involved in naval dockyard reform.

The Engineer’s Room

(Frederick Rice Markham, 1869-1948)

This room has two three-foot single beds which can be bound together to make a superking. Oak overmantel and south-facing view. Shares a bathroom with the Admiral’s Room.

Freddy Markham was a pioneer in electrical engineering, founding his own firm in Chelmsford after working for Crompton Parkinson in Essex. Morland House was the third house in the north of England to generate its own electricity, installing a turbine in 1882, powered by the mill race. It can still be seen in the garden. Freddy also installed a ram pump in 1925 to deliver running water to the house from a garden spring, powered by the the fall of the beck.

The Geographer’s Room

(Sir Clements Markham, 1830-1916)

Large bedroom with two three-foot brass beds which can be bound together to make a superking, and bay window, plus a modern en-suite bathroom with bath and shower over. Through a connecting door is Minna’s Room (Sir Clements’ wife), which has a small bed and a cot for children, and its own independent entrance.

Among many achievements, Sir Clements introduced quinine to India, and as President of the Royal Geographical Society became the father of Antarctic exploration.

The Colonel’s Room

(Lt Col Francis Markham, 1837-1921)

Double bedroom. Next to the 5th bathroom (which has a bath with shower over) and across the Back Landing from the Shower Room, which has a large step-free walk-in cubicle with rainforest head.

Fra served in the Rifle Brigade, married his cousin Maria, daughter of the Rev Rice Markham of Morland, bought the house from the church, and extended it to give it its present appearance in the 1870s and 1880s.

The Canon’s Room

(Canon Gervase Markham MBE, 1910-2007)

Large south facing bedroom containing two single beds. This room shares the 5th bathroom and the Shower Room.

Gervase Markham served during the war in North Africa, Sicily and Normandy, and later when Vicar of Morland founded the Morland Choristers’ Camp.

The Explorer’s Room

(Admiral Sir Albert Markham, 1841-1918)

Double bedroom with brass bed. This room also shares the 5th bathroom and the Shower Room.

Albert Markham reached the Farthest North towards the North Pole on the Nares Expedition of 1876.