A full, cooked breakfast is served between 7.30am and 9.30am, but for those who wish to enjoy a lie-in in our comfortable beds, or for those needing an early start, the other items can be set out in the dining room from 7am until 10.30am. We ask our guests to choose breakfast from a breakfast menu the evening before, but it is not a problem if you change your mind when you come down in the morning. Suzie often bakes fresh rolls, but these usually need to be requested the night before.
Breakfast Menu Choices
- Fruit juices
- Fresh fruit
- Cereals, porridge
- Grapefruit segments / prunes
- Plain yoghurt
- Free range eggs – fried, poached, scrambled, boiled
- Locally sourced bacon, fat Cumberland sausage
- Tomato, large flat mushroom
- Baked beans
- Home-made mixed grain rolls
- Tea / redbush / herbal / fruit / coffee / decaffeinated coffee
Please let us know in advance if you require anything special (such as gluten-free bread, vegetarian options, or soya milk). We have a high chair and a booster seat for use by babies and young children. We do not provide branded baby food, but children can select food from the normal menu, or request something special when booking.
On most days of the week you are welcome to eat your evening meal with us (see the Booking page for the price) - please book by the morning of the day before. The meal has 2-courses (main and dessert) and includes a complimentary glass of wine and coffee/tea and chocolates afterwards.
It may be possible to have a private, 3-course meal by special request.
Here are some examples of food we may provide for evening meals:
- Braised lamb chumps in a herb and crème fraiche sauce
- Gammom steaks with peaches
- Grilled steak
- Fish in white lemon and parsley sauce
- Pheasant casserole
- Vegetarian lasagne
- Lightly spiced roast potatoes
- New potatoes garnished with mint
- Seasonal vegetables from the garden
- Apple or rhubarb crumble with home-made grape, crab-apple or whitecurrant ice cream
- Blackcurrant fool
- Plums in syrup
- Meringues with whipped cream and raspberries
- Crèpes with home-made ice cream
The apples and the soft fruits are usually from the garden.
We highly recommend the Mill Yard Café (01931 714155), which is in the square just outside our gate. It serves excellent local food, including hot meals, every day from 10am to 5pm, and its restaurant is open on Saturday evenings. On Friday evenings it has a pizza night and on some Thursdays it has a curry specials evening. It is also licensed to sell wine and beer.
Here are a few excellent pubs and restaurants in the local area which we are able to recommend.